Friday, June 19, 2009

Electric Motor is here!

I purchased the Advanced DC FB-4001A 144V motor off of ebay. The seller was actually the very reputable EV parts retailer Cloud Electric and I ended up getting it several hundred dollars off what they were listing it at on their site, so I was happy.

The motor is so heavy, ~ 160 lbs, that it had to be shipped freight. This means it comes on a pallet and either I have to pay extra for a lift gate truck to deliver or I have to pick it up myself from the UPS freight center in Saint Louis. I opted to save about $60 and just go pick it up myself. The freight center was an experience in itself but once I figured out where I needed to go they quickly loaded up my new motor onto the back of a f-150 I was borrowing from my father.

Once at home I couldn't wait to open it up to check it out. My model has a dual shaft so the drive shaft sticks out on both ends. Some other EV converters have used the other end to power accessories like power steering, alternator for 12V system, climate control, etc. I don't see how practical that is considering it spins at the motor's RPMs and only when the vehicle is moving. In the end I will probably not use both ends of the motor but at least I have the option.

My camera broke while the family and I were in Florida so sorry no pics. I hope to have a new one soon.

2 comments:

  1. Can't you operate the motor with the transmission in neutral if you want to drive an accessory while the vehicle is stationary? Trucks often come with this option -- Power Take Off which is just a drive on the front of the engine. Many times the drives are set up to only operate when the vehicle is in neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good point. You should be able to do that but seems like an inconvenience to me to get the creature comforts I am after (air conditioning and heat). I will think more on your suggestion and see if I can work it into my truck.

    ReplyDelete