Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Temporary battery boxes and test fit

Tonight I created my temporary wooden battery boxes. These are temporary because I eventually plan on creating some better boxes with walls made from two thin pieces of plastic with insulating foam in between. For now I am going with the wooden ones to get the vehicle rolling sooner and will revisit the better boxes later.

The wooden boxes are nothing more than 1/4" plywood, with a few sections being a little thicker because of scraps I had laying around. I will probably be putting a coat of paint on them at some point. Once I had the pieces cut I secured them together using angle brackets. The boxes are a little flimsy but I am not that worried about it because the outer steel cages are what really hold them batteries in anyways.

Once I had the boxes in place I did a test fit of the batteries. One thing that is obvious to me now is that I will need some type of reinforcement to the shocks and struts. The truck's rear sags considerably when the batteries are in place. I was orginally hoping this wasn't going to be required but I guess it is.

The other 4 batteries are in the engine compartment battery box.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lance,

    Thank you for all of the good pictures. About the weight I noticed that evparts includes a set of overload springs in their kit: http://www.evparts.com/prod-AK2125.htm. You might be able to just order the items you need from them.

    David

    ReplyDelete